7.04.2011

Mondays Bite: Twilight Re-Read Along (Introduction and Part 1 Questions)

About three things I am absolutely positive: 1. It has four and a half years since I had read Twilight (middle of seventh grade to now, after junior, Bella's age lol). 2. That I liked it at first, then never picked it up again and finding myself disliking it over time, and 3. That my friends unconditionally and irrevocably hate the book's guts.
Wow, does time fly! I've been meaning to re-read Twilight, mainly so I can look back and see what caused me to like it so much at first, and then dislike it over time. Do my reasons for disliking it have good foundations? Was I influenced with my friends, even though I was one of the first amongst them to read it? Is there any place for me amongst my vampire-worshipping peers? Time to find out!
I've joined Mondays Bite: Twilight Re-Read Along to re-read all four hundred and ninety eight blood sucking (kinda?), heart pounding (sorta?), lip licking (eww...) pages of Twilight by Stephenie Meyer.
Will I laugh? Will I cry? Will I want to chuck it across the room? Stay tuned to find out! And if you'd like to join in on the fun and games, you can sign up here. At that link you will also find a schedule of the chapters to read: five per week for the next month.
Below are the questions for this week's reading, chapters 1-5.
1. Have you ever had to start over in a new place, like Bella did in Forks? This new place could be a school, job, or town... just something with a new setting. How easy or difficult was this for you?
I haven't had to start over at a new school, and I have yet to have a job or move to a new town (teenager!), but new places and experiences aren't easy for me overall. I like sticking with a routine, and I have to give Bella credit for choosing to pick herself up and move herself to a new home in a new place and a new climate.

2. Do you picture the actors from the movie as the characters in the book while you are reading?
No, I picture them as they were drawn for the covers/ artwork in the Japanese novels. I think they both look better that way anyway. The book 1 cover (first part out of three of Twilight) is here and the Book 2 cover (second part out of three) is here. All of the books are divided into threes, for some reason.

3. What are your first thoughts on meeting Edward in Bella’s Biology class? At first he was annoyed by her presence, but then after a week away he returns & finds him self very interested in her. Do you think this helped or hindered the storyline?
I already knew that Edward was "special," but I fail to see how the annoyance on his part was essential to development in Bella's/ Edward's relationship/ personality, other than showing me that Bella is a bit neurotic. I mean, she hates attention from her other classmates, so why does negative attention affect her so much? I know that she isn't used to it because she tries to fly under the radar, and mean looks bug me too, but she cared just a little bit too much in my opinion.
Edward's willingness to talk the week after they met, with him being friendly and open, was really off putting to me. It sounded very fake, even if he was honestly interested. I mean, talking with someone for the first time, unless you really hit it off, is always awkward, and the scene with the microscope came off as very cold to me, from the both of them.
4. Out of the secondary characters Bella meets at school, who is your favorite and why? (I am referring to the humans, not the vampires in this question)
I like Mike. He's friendly, open, and seems to really want to make Bella feel at home in Forks, especially when he invited her to La Push beach. I don't think he did it to hook up with her, I think that he just did it because he's a good person.

5. There is a lot of dialogue between Edward and Bella in these first few chapters that I feel played a major role in developing their relationship. What are some of your favorite quotes? or moments?
"Ladies first, partner?" - Edward, page 44. I really like teasing dialogue like this, in real life and in fiction, and it's nice seeing him be friendly after snubbing Bella the first time around (yes, I'm still hung up on that). It happens again with the line "Have I heard of him?" (page 48) in response to Bella talking about Phil (her stepfather) playing baseball for a living. I started a little late, and this is as far as I am, but those would be two of my favorites so far. I can't take serious male characters seriously unless they have a good reason to be, so it's nice to have moments with Edward being playful and friendly.
Also, on a side note, I finally got the "My mother is part albino." line of Bella's when asked about how pale she is. I last read this in seventh grade, and it completely flew over my head the first time, and only now did I catch the sarcasm. Quite frankly, I like her now because I caught it.

5 comments:

  1. I like a bit of routine as well! :)

    I liked Mike the best as well! He seems to be a popular answer today!

    I love teasing banter as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a huge creature of habit too - and i can't imagine moving to a new place and a new school so late in my high school career! Bella should be commended for her ability to blend right in, you're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this has nothing to do with the Twilight re-read, but I've never found anybody else that does geocaching before. That's awesome. Nobody else around here ever knows what it is when I tell them about it! In fact, people give me crazy eyes. But it is awesome fun and I'm glad to see it on your blog up there!

    Also, glad you're enjoying Twilight again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, definitely a Mike fan as well!

    And Bella is way funnier in the books! I missed that in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jacinda- I'm not surprised that Mike's such a popular answer! What's not to love about him?

    @ Lisa- Too bad for Bella that she doesn't end up blending right in; I guess it all depends if you're moving to a small town (like Forks) or a big city.

    @ SweetestLittleBookworm- I'm really new to geocaching, but I love it already! And I'm equally as glad to know that at least one person who's read my description knows what it is!

    @ Jasmine- Yeah, I think Bella's sense of humor makes her much more relatable, and quite frankly, easier to deal with. I haven't seen the movie, but when I do I'll have to compare.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, but they are also monitored! Please leave unkind words and spam someplace other than this blog.

Also, practice Internet safety and please do not include any personal information in the comments.

Other than those two itty-bitty rules, I appreciate your input :)