6.04.2012

Armchair BEA Day 1: Personal Interview

I couldn't even do Armchair BEA last year, much less go to the actual BEA, so I'm excited to be a part of the party this year! If you're visiting for the first time, welcome! All comments are appreciated, and I'm so excited to get to know some of my fellow book bloggers.

Here we go!

1. Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? 

My name is Emily :) I'd say that I'm a high school senior but I finished all of my AP tests and will be graduating June 21st, so calling myself that doesn't feel accurate anymore. I've been blogging since March 2011, and what got me started was that I had been invited to write reviews for the teen writing website Figment, and I thought that book blogging would be a great way to keep them organized!

2. What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?

I am currently reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman for a final AP English project, Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride for fun, and Book 1 of the Seven Soldiers of Victory series by Grant Morrison because I want to get more comics into my life this year. 

My favorite books so far have been either I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga or Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

3. If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?

Probably Aziraphale from Good Omens, because he's really cool and owns a bookshop, which is always excellent in my book.He's been around for a while too, so he probably has some great stories.

4. What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

Ireland, ever since I read the first Artemis Fowl book. From the pictures that I've seen it's a beautiful place, and I've got to get to Europe eventually! So, why not start there?

5. Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?

They haven't been changed so much as realized. I realized that I like books that deal with complex issues, male main characters, good sarcasm and wit, comics and graphic novels, dystopians with a base in real life (as opposed to just slapping the label on a crappy society). I've found it's okay that I don't like paranormal romance like a lot of other people, including bloggers I look up to, do.

No matter what, there are always books being published, or have been published, that I can read and enjoy, and that the love of the majority doesn't have to be my love. I don't have to read a book that doesn't sound interesting to me just because Book Blogger A, who I love, gave it five stars. 

So, I hope that I'm a halfway interesting person and that you liked reading my responses to the questions. I love and respond to all comments, so feel free to leave a few!

Ta-ta!

14 comments:

  1. Hey Emily. I have Stardust on my shelf too - borrowed it from a friend and I really need to get around to it. I keep hearing so much good about it! I think I need to reread Good Omens since I normally really like both Pratchett and Gaimann, but GO just didn't really work for me ... I think I got it wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope that it works out for you, I really think that you should give it another try!

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily! I have been wanting to read I Hunt Killers, it reminds me of the T.V. show Dexter which I love, I really need to get around to reading it. Awesome Post! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it was just so good! I read it in three days, and NEVER do that! Barry Lyga needs all of the love that he can get, so I hope that you read it soon!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I loved Good Omens! It was my first Pratchett and Gaiman. I must reread that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost never reread books, but I think I'm going to tackle it again this summer. Funny books are the perfect beach reads!

      Delete
  4. Hi, nice to meet you. :)

    I liked I HUNT KILLERS too, now that was a really surprising book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen more about it amongst book bloggers, I feel like it's something a lot of people would dig. Glad to hear someone else liked it!

      Delete
  5. Welcome to Archair BEA!@ EMily. I don't recognize much of what you are sharing above but that is what makes the book world on line so interesting. Congrats on the upcoming graduation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Neil Gaiman -- haven't read Stardust or Good Omens yet but mean to. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Stardust!

    Congratulations on the achievement of finishing school! Such an exciting time.

    Hope you have a fantastic BEA experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really awesome so far. Thanks for the congrats!

      Delete

Comments are appreciated, but they are also monitored! Please leave unkind words and spam someplace other than this blog.

Also, practice Internet safety and please do not include any personal information in the comments.

Other than those two itty-bitty rules, I appreciate your input :)