8.06.2012

Review: The Runaways, Vol 1: Pride & Joy by Brian K. Vaughan



From Goodreads:
All young people believe their parents are evil ... but what if they really are? Meet Alex, Karolina, Gert, Chase, Molly and Nico - whose lives are about to take an unexpected turn. When these six young friends discover their parents are all secretly super-powered villains, the shocked teens find strength in one another. Together, they run away from home and straight into the adventure of their lives - vowing to turn the tables on their evil legacy.

I feel that my expectations for this book might have been too high, but to say that it is on par with Vaughan's Y: The Last Man, I feel, would be just wrong.

It wasn't the writing that I so much took an issue with, thankfully. Vaughan has managed to pepper the work with music and book references as I've seen him do before, but other than those little snippets I didn't feel a huge draw to the writing.

The plot proceedings were confusing, but I chalk part of that up to the fact that I'm only on book one of the series, and I'm sure that more becomes clear as time goes on. One of the things that confused me was just how evil I was supposed to see Pride, the villainous group of the comic.

I can certainly understand why the teens in the book see their parents as evil, they do witness their folks murder a teenage girl, but I had hoped to see a little bit more of Pride. Why do they have such a hold on the city? Are their threats just threats, or do they frequently carry them out? Why are their costumes so oddly hilarious for a group that I'm supposed to see with hatred? I must just have high expectations for my evildoers, which Runaways didn't fulfill.

I don't like judging art, seeing as I have no artistic skills whatsoever, but being a comic book I have no choice but to do so. The greatest issue I had was with the character's mouths, which seemed to only switch between gaping holes or puckers (say "prunes" out loud) regardless of the words within their conversation.

I had picked up Runaways without knowing that Vaughan had written in, intrigued by the premise, and was still disappointed overall. I have no plans on picking up the next issue, but if the description sounds interesting to you it may be nice to know that my sentiments are not shared in a majority of Goodreads reviews. Rather, the series appears to be well-loved, and I agree it would be fitting for a younger comic fan. For older fans looking for a much more serious series, please try Y: The Last Man. I'm certain that you won't regret it.

Amazon, Goodreads
Title: Runaways vol. 1, Pride & Joy
Author: Brian K. Vaughan
Pencils: Adrian Alphona
Publisher: Marvel
Publication Date: December 6th, 2006
Page #: 144
ISBN: 0785113797

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated, but they are also monitored! Please leave unkind words and spam someplace other than this blog.

Also, practice Internet safety and please do not include any personal information in the comments.

Other than those two itty-bitty rules, I appreciate your input :)