4.27.2012

Fantastic Covers Friday: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Fantastic Covers Friday is a weekly meme over here at Brave New Shelf where I highlight beautiful covers that I find, from both old books and new, from young adult books.

Wow, LOADS of awesome news coming out of the writing world this week! First Free Four was a success, and now the cover for the sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (my review here) by Michelle Hodkin, titled The Evolution of Mara Dyer, has been revealed:


Whoever is doing her covers seriously needs some recognition, they're absolutely gorgeous! I'm assuming that, like the first book, the cover design was done by Lucy Ruth Cummings and the cover photograph is copyright Heather Landis. (both links go to the respective websites of the artists)

I love how the hands are coming together (or moving apart?) in the middle, especially after the embrace on the cover of the first book. The word "of" has even moved from it's position on the first book to make room for them, a great set-up in my opinion. The coloring is spot on too, that eerie blue tone that is both sad and scary at the same time. 

Well, I'm excited now. Are you?

P.S. Don't worry that Goodreads says the book is only 272 pages. Michelle Hodkin has stated on her blog:

THE EVOLUTION is almost exactly the same length as THE UNBECOMING. Like, within a few hundred words. I have no idea how that happened, but I think it's kind of cool.
No worries! There's plenty more Mara coming October 23rd.


1 comment:

  1. I am actually not super crazy about this cover - I LOVED the first books cover, but this one is a bit lackluster for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated, but they are also monitored! Please leave unkind words and spam someplace other than this blog.

Also, practice Internet safety and please do not include any personal information in the comments.

Other than those two itty-bitty rules, I appreciate your input :)